View Thread

• 1.  Mourning the loss of Prof Ivan Montiel

Posted 03-06-2023 22:49

Dear ONE Community,

It is with a very heavy heart that I share that our dear colleague Professor Ivan Montiel has passed away. His family shared this very sad news on March 5.

Many of you would be aware that Ivan had been unwell. He had been visiting his family in Spain and had gone missing on February 20. Despite our fears about Ivan's safety, we have all been hoping, praying, wishing for a miracle.…this unfortunate news, with its grim finality, is shocking. 

Ivan was an amazing colleague, an excellent academic and an incredible ONE executive member. He was always helpful, always supportive and always an epitome of grace and gentleness.

We will honour Ivan's memory and legacy through ONE. For now, let us support Ivan's family and each other in this very unfortunate loss.

Take care of yourself, and of each other.

Warm regards,

Sukhbir

------------------------------
    Sukhbir Sandhu
    Associate Professor
    University of South Australia
    TORRENS PARK SA

• 2.  RE: Mourning the loss of Prof Ivan Montiel

Posted 04-12-2023 17:53

Olá Ivan, 

I want to thank you for everything you have done for me. We met through your generosity, when you offered cocktails to some of us, PhD students at our first AOM. Since then, more drinks have followed, lots of laughter, and various reflections on how to change this academic institution that sometimes feels too tight. We became friends, and conference and party buddies. 

I don’t think I ever expressed how much you have inspired me and how much I owe you. It is only because of you that I decided to become more active in the ONE community (to give back that generosity I had received and didn't think I deserved). It is because of your support that I founded the PhD Community. You took me under your wing from day zero, constantly helping me to improve my research ideas and inspiring me make an impact in and out of academia. 

The academic community has lost an amazing person, always willing to help others unconditionally, a great servant and builder of our community. I have lost a mentor, a guide, and a friend to turn to for sage advice on how to survive the madness of academia. It is hard to imagine what the journey will be like without your guidance and support.

I promise that we will carry on your ideas for change and not thwart your efforts. 

Your memory and light will always guide us. 

Bon viatge amic meu. Et trobaré molt a faltar.

Lucrezia Nava
    Lecturer in Corporate Social Responsibility
    Bayes Business School (formerly Cass)
    United Kingdom

• 3.  RE: Mourning the loss of Prof Ivan Montiel

Posted 04-13-2023 10:15

Prof. Ivan Montiel was truly an inspiring researcher and mentor. I am very grateful that I had a chance to interact with him and learn from him through the ONE division. I am still in awe of how responsive and helpful he was to me and other division volunteers. His guidance and vision helped guide our work at every stage. His clarity of thought and research ideas inspired and enabled my doctoral journey. Even while wearing so many different hats - researcher, ONE executive chair, mentor - his skills or efforts never lacked, nor did he ever miss an opportunity to guide and help students. 
    Thank you Ivan, for everything! 

Youthika Chauhan
    ONE Communications Team
    Ph.D. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Youthika Chauhan
    Chapel Hill NC