View Thread

• 1.  Presentation of How Ideas Move - Theories and Models of Translation in Organizations

Posted 08-29-2022 10:44

Dear all

Innovative ideas need to move and to be implemented. But what if they are "translated" rather than "implemented". I wrote a book about that in 2021 that came out on Routledge. And I have now made this presentation of the book that may be of interest to you if you work with implementing strategi, policy, management, healthcare, sustainability or IT-related or design ideas. Check it out !:) 

ISO Talk - How Ideas Move - John Damm Scheuer - RUC Videoportal

Yours
    John Damm Scheuer 

------------------------------
    John Damm Scheuer
    Roskilde University
    Allerød

• 2.  RE: Presentation of How Ideas Move - Theories and Models of Translation in Organizations

Posted 08-30-2022 11:10
    Interesting to consider "translation" as an alternative means of making impact. Since the act of translating is also one of "place based" connection making, the ideas might remain and then rightly evolve over time within a particular context aligned with their "translation." Thanks for sharing the presentation John.

Naida Culshaw
    Grenoble Ecole De Management
    Grenoble

• 3.  RE: Presentation of How Ideas Move - Theories and Models of Translation in Organizations

Posted 08-30-2022 17:13

Dear Nadia

Yes. I agree ! Placebased translations are very important in relation to impact ! Actually in the book I suggest that it is in fact the last translation in a translation chain that is the most important one. That is the place where the real impact is created.  But of cause the idea may be translated and changed many times as it moves through the translation chains. I would look at the original idea and Its supposed outcomes, at the version of the idea just before it reaches Its final destination, and then at the final version of the idea as you find in for instance a departement or other organizational Unit. The final or rather localized and stabilized version of the idea is then what creates the impact. And that impact may then often be very different from the kind of impact and Way to construct the idea that you found in the original version of the idea.

Yours 

John