View Thread

Message from the ONE Chair Elect - Martina Linnenluecke

• 1.  Message from the ONE Chair Elect - Martina Linnenluecke

Posted 09-15-2022 03:16

Dear ONErs,

To those of you who have joined us either virtually or in-person at this year's AOM conference, we would like to sincerely thank you for your participation and your contributions in various roles. We hope you had a productive and enjoyable time!

This was our first time organizing a hybrid conference and I was excited to see the final program working so well for our Division. I was very delighted to hear that many participants felt that the ONE Program provided valuable virtual-only, in-person and hybrid sessions, and allowed members to participate in the conference, regardless of their location or circumstance. Of course, there is always room for improvements, and we will look at those for AOM 2023 in Boston!

In the future, we hope that we can retain a flexible conference program to ensure that the conference provides numerous opportunities for networking and collaboration, both in-person and virtually. As discussed in the Business Meeting, we have already provided input to the Academy regarding issues such as the fee structure, and the allocation of dedicated virtual days or slots to avoid scheduling difficulties. We are also working with our various teams to ensure that we have additional ONE-related activities outside of the main meeting.

One of the noticeable themes within the conference were debates about the significant issues that we are facing – among those the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, international conflict, and climate change, to name a few. As the world faces ever-growing challenges, I hope that work undertaken by ONE Scholars ensures that organizations are part of the solution.

Many attendees commented on the extent of homelessness and social problems that were visible in Seattle and I encourage you to reflect on how our community of scholars can be part of creating a more sustainable society.

Next year's Academy of Management conference will have a special focus on "Putting the worker front and center", examining working conditions, the role of "essential workers", and the struggle of many to feed their families. Many workers in our society work for very low wages and are at the frontlines of environmental and social issues. Our research and teaching can make a real difference by ensuring that these issues are on the agenda of current and future decision-makers.

We encourage you to continue the conversation by engaging with our online content and connecting with other members of the Academy. I look forward to seeing you at next year's conference and I know that the ONE Program will be in good hands with our incoming PDW Chair Sara Soderstrom and incoming Program Chair Nardia Haigh!

Martina Linnenluecke

Outgoing Program Chair 2022

------------------------------
    Lucrezia Nava
    Lecturer in Corporate Social Responsibility
    Bayes Business School (formerly Cass)
    United Kingdom
    ------------------------------