Dear GVV Colleagues, I do hope that you and yours are staying healthy and weathering the current challenges we all are facing around the world with Covid-19. I have been impressed at the resilience and creativity with which so many have found ways to continue their best work in new ways and to be inspired to ask new questions and voice new approaches to values-driven leadership. Thank you for that! Although the need to stay put has been a challenge, I am so pleased to report that the Giving Voice To Values programs that were scheduled for the next 3-4 months are all being rescheduled or going virtual. The work continues at this even more critical time for us to find constructive and effective ways to enact our best selves. See below for updates!
New Case: "Ma Jun and the Institute of Public and Environmental Affairs" - A, B, C Cases and Teaching Note (OB-1303)
Developed by Jiang Peng, Associate Professor, and Qian Xiaojun, Professor, at Tsinghua University, Beijing, China. As water and air quality worsened in China as the country moved into the 21st century, Ma Jun, a former journalist who was then working for an international environmental consultancy firm, started to consider founding a nongovernmental organization (NGO) focusing on environmental protection and relying on public participation in China. Ma faced some critical issues.
NEW BOOK IN GVV SERIES FROM ROUTLEDGE: Ethics, CSR and Sustainability (ECSRS) Education in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Region
Edited by Noha El-Bassiouny, Dina El-Bassiouny, Ehab K.A. Mohamed, Mohamed A.L. Basuony, Routledge , 2020. This book compiles conceptual, contextual, and empirical research that addresses the concepts of CSR, ethics, and sustainability education in the MENA region, with a special emphasis on how educators can utilize the Giving Voice to Values approach.
Radio Interview with Mary Gentile about the Fellowship at Auschwitz for the Professional Study of Ethics (FASPE) program and GVV, The Morning Show with Mary Jacobsen/Newburyport, MA, March 2020.
GVV Online Programs from Nomadic.fm is now part of the Josh Bersin Academy offerings for Human Resource Leaders in 2020.
"Q&A: Where did the Houston Astros Go Astray?"
Interview with Mary Gentile by Whitelaw Reid in UVA Today, February 26, 2020.
Call for Proposals on "Giving Voice To Values: Uses and Impacts of this Innovative Pedagogy in Management Education" [track # 05-1] for 7th Responsible Management Education Research Conference, Chur, Switzgerland; 18th - 21st October 2020.
Contact Professor Christian Hauser for details - Christian.Hauser@fhgr.ch. Deadline for submissions: May 31, 2020.
FORTHCOMING Darden Business Publishing Webinar on Using Giving Voice To Values Curriculum and Pedagogy
October 29, 2020. Details to follow.
GVV featured in Harvard Divinity School Graduate course on "Ethical Discernment in Business Contexts"
Professor John Brown, February 2020.
"Giving Voice To Values" by Mary C. Gentile at University of Virginia Lifetime Learning "Thoughts from the Lawn," March 9, 2020.
Giving Voice To Values Audiobook Now Available
The audiobook version of Giving Voice To Values: How to Speak Your Mind When You Know What's Right by Tantor Media is now available.
A New Offering of the GVV MOOC Launches Every Fourth Monday
The GVV MOOC, Ethical Leadership Through Giving Voice To Values, launched by UVA Darden and Coursera, is available every fourth Monday.
GVV IN THE MEDIA
"On Ethics" Interview with Mary C. Gentile by Adam Turtletaub in COSMOS,ethikos, a publication of the Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics (SCCE), Volume 34, Number 2, February 1, 2020. "What Leads Professionals to Compromise on their Ethics?" by Jaret Butt in Myosh.com Blog, February 12, 2020. Gentile was quoted in "Team Loyalty Doesn't Mean Silence on Misconduct" by Dian Zhang. On member-exclusive website, Gartner Compliance & Ethics Leadership Council, February 2020. Mary C. Gentile cited in "You're a leader. But you can't stomach what your company is doing" by Jeanne Sahadi, CNN Business, January 30, 2020. Interview with Mary Gentile on Giving Voice To Values and Success with Alice Alessandri and Alberto Aleo at Passodue, January 2020. SPECIAL ISSUE OF HR PEOPLE+STRATEGY JOURNAL DEDICATED TO GIVING VOICE TO VALUES, Summer 2019. Publication: "GIVING VOICE TO VALUES: RESPONSIBLE MANAGEMENT AS FACILITATION OF ETHICAL VOICE" by Carsten Tams, Mary C. Gentille. In Laasch, O., Jamali, D., Freeman, E., & Suddaby, R. (2019). The Research Handbook of Responsible Management. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
More Media & Publications
GVV AROUND THE WORLD
· GVV Lecture and workshop for Financial Professionals at Portfolio Construction Forum in Sydney, Australia, February 2020.
· Guest Lecture on GVV at Jonkoping University, Sweden, March 2020.
· Research Roundtable with Industry and University Leaders; Calgary Integrity Network with Local Business Executives; GVV Programs for Students on GVV, University of Calgary Haskayne School of Business, Canadian Centre for Advanced Leadership in Business, Canada, January 2020.
· Several schools in the MENA region are utilizing the Giving Voice to Values (GVV) pedagogy for values-driven leadership through case studies developed in strong partnership with organizations in the region. These case studies present real-life examples of protagonists who knew the right thing to do and exemplified ways of doing it. The German University in Cairo (GUC) Egypt, for example, has incorporated GVV in its business ethics course taught at MBA level. Other universities are piloting the GVV approach such as Al-Akhawayn University in Ifrane, Morocco, and Qatar University. These efforts are currently being documented in a forthcoming book to be published by Routledge in the GVV Book Series.
· GVV has become part of the pedagogy and curriculum for FASPE, the Fellowship at Auschwitz for the Study of Professional Ethics. To learn more, visit https://connect.darden.virginia.edu/e/492531/2020-04-28/4cfv94/472571747?h=LW1PLG0nb1ykMkJtjU-t-adpXQ3IsIFx3Xr6ab11_Ng.
· Arabic translataions of selected GVV materials from Al Akhawayn University in Ifrane, Morocco, will be available soon.
Visit the GVV Around the World section of our website for more on GVV's global reach and impact.
GVV ACROSS SECTORS - EDUCATION, CORPORATE, THE LAW, THE MILITARY, & THE PUBLIC SECTOR
GVV is active and growing rapidly, with over 1,185 presentations and/or pilots in education, business and fields such as nursing, medicine, law and engineering. For example:
· GVV has been featured at 2 national convenings of Financial Professionals in Australia in the recent months - MLC in Cairns and the Portfolio Construction Forum in Sydney.
· GVV Online programs from Nomadic.fm is now part of the Josh Bersin Academy offerings for Human Resource Leaders in 2020. To learn more, visit: https://connect.darden.virginia.edu/e/492531/voice-values-and-hr/4cfv8j/472571747?h=LW1PLG0nb1ykMkJtjU-t-adpXQ3IsIFx3Xr6ab11_Ng.
· Featured GVV Training Program for the California State Municipal Finance Organization, January 2020.
· GVV is now featured in an ONLINE program for the CFA Institute (Chartered Financial Analyst Institute).
· GVV is now being used in professional development programming by the GFOA (Government Financial Officers Association).
· GVV is a featured methodology in Aspen Ethical Leadership in Healthcare program, offered annually (September 8-11). To learn more, visit: https://connect.darden.virginia.edu/e/492531/2020-04-28/4cfv98/472571747?h=LW1PLG0nb1ykMkJtjU-t-adpXQ3IsIFx3Xr6ab11_Ng.
RECENT BOOKS IN THE GVV SERIES FROM ROUTLEDGE/GREENLEAF
· Ethics, CSR and Sustainability (ECSRS) in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Region: Conceptualization, Contextualization and Empirical Evidence, Edited by Noha El-Bassiouny, Dina El-Bassiouny, Ehab K.A. Mohamed, Mohamed A.L. Basuony. Routledge 2020. This book compiles conceptual, contextual, and empirical research that addresses the concepts of CSR, ethics, and sustainability education in the MENA region, with a special emphasis on how educators can bridge the Giving Voice To Values approach.
· Authentic Excellence: Flourishing and Resilience in a Relentless World. Building on the principles of Giving Voice To Values, which honors the complexity and difficulty of leading with our values, R. Kelly Crace and Robert Louis Crace address the unique challenges faced by young adults. The book provides a clear process that details how to harness natural wisdom to flourish through the relentless pace and pressure of today's world.
· Giving Voice To Values in Accounting. Editors Tara J. Shawver and William F. Miller share research, cases, and discussion to provide accounting educators, coaches, trainers, and professionals with both the impetus and the tools to easily implement the GVV methodology into their own work, their organizations and in the classroom.
· Giving Voice To Values as a Professional Physician: An Introduction to Medical Ethics. This book by Ira Bedzow weaves contemporary views of medical professionalism with the powerful vision of Giving Voice To Values to create a novel take on virtue ethics.
· Forthcoming books in the GVV Series from Routledge/Greenleaf will focus on marketing, sustainability, ethical practice in the legal profession, ethics training, etc. If you have an idea for a manuscript in this series, please contact GentileM@darden.virginia.edu.
Thank you for your continued interest and use of Giving Voice To Values!
Giving Voice to Values
Giving Voice to Values: How to Speak Your Mind When You Know What's Right
GVV Curriculum and Materials at UVA Darden Business Publishing
GVV MOOC Information and Registration
Contact Mary Gentile
Professor of Practice
University of Virginia Darden School of Business
Creator/Director, Giving Voice to Values