Greetings! With the challenges we all continue to face regarding Covid-19, I have missed seeing so many of you in person. I do hope that you and yours are staying healthy and I continue to be impressed at the resilience and creativity with which so many have found ways to continue their best work in new ways and to be inspired to ask new questions and voice new approaches to values-driven leadership. Thank you for that! I am so pleased to report that the Giving Voice To Values work continues to grow rapidly and globally, especially as this is such a critical time for us to find constructive and effective ways to enact our best selves. See below for updates!
CFA Institute Offers Online GVV Program Customized for Finance Students and Faculty
Hosted in the CFA Institute Ethics Learning Lab, this GVV program incorporates content relevant to the investment profession and teaches finance students how to act on their values while under pressure. The five modules take as little as 30 minutes each to complete and include videos, quizzes, polls, and discussion prompts. Students will share comments, like others comments, and track their progress on the leaderboard, making the program more meaningful, memorable, and enjoyable. There is also the option to set up a private cohort for your class that allows your students to go through the program together. If you are interested in adding this program to your Finance degree curriculum, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
KPMG LPP (US firm) is integrating GVV into their firmwide Ethics & Integrity curriculum to enhance their partner and employee skills needed to at and resolve ethical dilemmas and effectively voice their values.
FORTHCOMING Darden Business Publishing Webinar on Using Giving Voice To Values Curriculum and Pedagogy. October 29. 2020. Details at https://connect.darden.virginia.edu/e/492531/giving-voice-to-values-webinar/4krscc/547029874?h=7YOH372r7uFUZoAK5NGw060d_8pn9vLzNyctQo1Qhjg or contact GentileM@darden.virginia.edu.
New Book in the GVV Series from Routledge: Engaging the Heart in Business: A Revolutionary Market Approach Based on Love by Alice Alessandri and Alberto Aleo.
Forthcoming Soon/February 2021: New Book in the GVV Series from Routledge: Giving Voice To Values in the Boardroom by Cynthia E. Clark.
Also new books in the works on voicing values across race, corporate ethics training and many other topics.
GVV featured in Oxford Character Project "Leading and Flourishing in Difficult Times," July 2020.
More GVV in Africa
In July 2020, The Education Collaborative, an initiative of Ashesi University in Ghana, offered a 2-day Giving Voice To Values virtual workshop attended by 21 participants from five organizations in Ghana, Sierra Leone, and USA. The workshop covered key components of the GVV curriculum and shared how Ashesi University has adapted the curriculum for use with undergraduate students in the Ghana and Africa context. The Education Collaborative has offered mini-grants to attendees to develop cases for their own organizations, which include K-12 schools, universities, non-governmental organizations, and a fellowship program for emerging public leaders in Ghana. Contact Rebecca Awuah for more information.
GVV Online programs from Nomadic.fm is now a part of the Josh Bersin Academy offerings for Human Resource Leaders in 2020.
For more information, please visit https://connect.darden.virginia.edu/e/492531/voice-values-and-hr/4krsck/547029874?h=7YOH372r7uFUZoAK5NGw060d_8pn9vLzNyctQo1Qhjg.
Giving Voice To Values Audiobook Now Available
The audiobook version of Giving Voice To Values: How to Speak Your Mind When You Know What's Right by Tantor Media is now available.
A New Offering of the GVV MOOC Launches Every Fourth Monday
The GVV MOOC, Ethical Leadership Through Giving Voice To Values, launched by UVA Darden and Coursera, is available every fourth Monday.
GVV AROUND THE WORLD
· Interview with Tobias Sturesson for Leading Transformational Change podcast, Sweden, July 2020.
· Gentile presented GVV in a Keynote for the Annual Convening of the Australia Institute of Health and Safety in June 2020.
· Gentile shared GVV with high school students in India as part of the ASPIRE IMPACT Leadership Development Program June 2020.
· "Resilience in the Face of Values Conflicts Triggered by the Virus," Webinar with Mary Gentile for the Ethics Practitioners Association of Canada (EPAC), June 2020.
· GVV presented as a webinar for Globsyn Business School, Kolkata, India, May 2020.
· Several schools in the MENA region are utilizing the Giving Voice To Values (GVV) pedagogy for values-driven leadership through case studies developed in strong partnership with organizations in the region. These case studies present real-life examples of protagonists who knew the right thing to do and exemplified ways of doing it. The German University in Cairo (GUC) Egypt, for example, has incorporated GVV in its business ethics course taught at MBA level. Other universities are piloting the GVV approach such as Al-Akhawayn University in Ifrane, Morocco, and Qatar University. These efforts are currently being documented in a forthcoming book to be published by Routledge in the GVV Book Series.
· GVV has become part of the pedagogy and curriculum for FASPE, the Fellowship at Auschwitz for the Study of Professional Ethics. To learn more, visit https://connect.darden.virginia.edu/e/492531/2020-08-26/4krscw/547029874?h=7YOH372r7uFUZoAK5NGw060d_8pn9vLzNyctQo1Qhjg/.
· Arabic translations of selected GVV materials from Al Akhawayn University in Ifrane, Morocco, will be available soon.
Visit the GVV website at www.GivingVoiceToValues.org for more on GVV's global reach and impact.
PUBLICATIONS, MEDIA, AND ARTICLE MENTIONS/DISCUSSIONS OF GVV:
· "Moral Muscle Memory" by Mary C. Gentile in The Aspen Journal of IDEAS, The Aspen Institute, Summer 2020.
· "Giving Voice To Values: Covid-19: Conflicts, Creative Solutions and Collaboration" by Jeff Hittner and Mary C. Gentile, Ideas to Action, University of Virginia Darden School of Business, June 18, 2020.
· "Giving Voice To Values: Responsible Management as Facilitation of Ethical Voice" by Carsten Tams and Mary C. Gentile. Chapter in Research Handbook of Responsible Management, edited by Oliver Laasch, Roy Suddaby, R. Edward Freeman and Dima Jamali, Edward Elgar, 2020, pp. 532-548.
· Giving Voice To Values cited in MENAFM (Middle East North Africa Financial News), June 2020.
· "Connecting Legal Education: Giving Voice To Values" by Liz Curran, Lydia Bleasdale, Emma Flint, and Michael Doherty in ALT: Association of Law Teachers, May 15, 2020.
· "Aspire Impact partners with Darden School of Business to make case studies-based curriculum" - This Leadership Development program for Indian High Schoolers features Giving Voice To Values. Outlook India, May 2020.
· Giving Voice To Values cited in Roel Snieder and Qin Zhu, "Connecting to the Heart: Teaching Values-Based Professional Ethics," Science and Engineering Ethics, 2020.
· Giving Voice To Values cited in William F. Miller, Tara J. Shawver, and Steven M. Mintz, "Measuring the Values of Integrating GVV into a Standalone Accounting Ethics Course" in Journal of Accounting Education, 2020.
· Special Issue of HR PEOPLE+STRATEGY Journal dedicated to Giving Voice To Values, Summer 2019. Visit here for more information.
More Media & Publications
WEBINARS, LECTURES, AND PRESENTATIONS
· Interview podcast on GVV and Business Ethics Education with Cindy Moehring, Founder & Executive Chair, Business Integrity Leadership Initiative, Sam M. Walton College of Business, University of Arkansas, July 2020.
· Interview on GVV and Values-Driven Leadership Education with Professor Daylian Cain, Yale School of Management, for upcoming online Executive MBA programming, July 2020.
· GVV Virtual Workshop for annual national convening of the Government Finance Officers Association, July 2020.
· Gentile cited and video interview in "Great Leaders are Good at Hearing Bad News" at Notre Dame Deloitte Center for Ethical Leadership, May 2020.
· GVV virtual workshop for the Governmental Accounting and Auditing Conference, Oregon, GFOA, May 2020.
· Gentile shared GVV with Office of Naval Intelligence via webinar, April 2020.
· Gentile shared GVV with The Robert Zicklin Center for Corporate Integrity, Baruch College CUNY via webinar, April 2020.
· Podcast with Mary Gentile on Giving Voice To Values in "Are We Still Living in Enron's World?" - Business 20/20 Podcast Series from The Aspen Institute Business and Society Program, March 2020.
· "Covid-19: What is Ethical Business Leadership?", Podcast with Mary Gentile, Brian Hathaway, Yodit Beyene, Shira Beery, FASPE, April 21, 2020.
· Gentile shared GVV virtually with Babson College IMPACT UNPLUGGED, May 2020.
· Radio interview with Mary Gentile about the FASPE program and GVV, The Morning Show with Mary Jacobsen/Newburyport, MA, March 2020.
GVV ACROSS SECTORS - EDUCATION, CORPORATE, THE LAW, THE MILITARY, THE PUBLIC SECTOR
GVV is active and growing rapidly, with over 1,220 presentations and/or pilots in education, business and fields such as nursing, medicine, law and public sector finance. For example:
· Gentile is working with the Australia Institute of Health and Safety (AIHS) to develop a training program for Health and Safety professionals across Australia.
· GVV has been featured at two national convenings of Financial Professionals in Australia in the recent months - MLC in Cairns and the Portfolio Construction Forum in Sydney.
· GVV Online programs from Nomadic.fm is now part of the Josh Bersin Academy offerings for Human Resource Leaders in 2020.
· GVV is now featured in an online program for the CFA Institute (Chartered Financial Analyst Institute).
· GVV is now being used in professional development programming by the GFOA (Government Financial Officers Association).
· GVV is a featured methodology in Aspen Ethical Leadership in Healthcare program, offered annually (September 8-11).
RECENT BOOKS IN THE GVV SERIES FROM ROUTLEDGE/GREENLEAF
· New book in the GVV Series from Routledge: Engaging the Heart in Business: A Revolutionary Market Approach Based on Love by Alice Alessandri and Alberto Aleo.
· Ethics, CSR and Sustainability (ECSRS) in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Region: Conceptualization, Contextualization and Empirical Evidence
o Edited by Noha El-Bassiouny, Dina El-Bassiouny, Ehab K.A. Mohamed, Mohamed A.K. Basuony. Routledge, 2020. This book compiles conceptual, contextual, and empirical research that addresses the concepts of CSR, ethics, and sustainability education in the MENA region, with a special emphasis on how educators can bridge the Giving Voice To Values approach.
· Authentic Excellence: Flourishing and Resilience in a Relentless World
o Building on the principles of Giving Voice To Values, which honors the complexity and difficulty of leading with our values, R. Kelly Crace and Robert Louis Crace addresses the unique challenges faced by young adults. The book provides a clear process that details how to harness natural wisdom to flourish through the relentless pace and pressure of today's world.
· Giving Voice To Values in Accounting
o Editors Tara J. Shawver and William F. Miller share research, cases and discussion to provide accounting educators, coaches, trainers and professionals with both the impetus and the tools to easily implement the GVV methodology into their own work, their organizations and in the classroom.
· Giving Voice To Values as a Professional Physician: An Introduction to Medical Ethics
o This book by Ira Bedzow weaves contemporary views of medical professionalism with the powerful vision of Giving Voice To Values to create a novel take on virtue ethics.
· Forthcoming books in the GVV Series from Routledge/Greenleaf will focus on GVV in the Boardroom, Voice across Race, Sustainability, Ethical Practice in the Legal Profession, Ethics Training, etc. If you have an idea for a manuscript for this series, please contact GentileM@darden.virginia.edu.
THANK YOU for your continued interest and use of Giving Voice To Values!
Giving Voice to Values
Giving Voice to Values: How to Speak Your Mind When You Know What's Right
GVV Curriculum and Materials at UVA Darden Business Publishing
GVV MOOC Information and Registration
Contact Mary Gentile
Professor of Practice
University of Virginia Darden School of Business
Creator/Director, Giving Voice to Values